PTI - POST TRAUMATIC INTERVIEW

00:56


This is my first post, and it is about the disappointment of the week; My first CO-OP INTERVIEW.

I had spent the night before researching about the company. Clearly, that did not help at all. This interview had three parts: Research, Presentation, and an Oral Interview. To make matters worst, it turned out to be a panel interview. I had an hour to research and come up with a 5 -7 page proposal.  Let's just say things were left incomplete... and that just lead to an extremely disappointing performance during the presentation and interview portion of the assessment. I left knowing I could have done better. 

However, I shouldn't be complaining because it was a good experience to go through. The interviewers were friendly, and professional. It provided me with an idea of how the upcoming interviews might be .... if I get the chance to do another one. I have high hopes to improve and  get a placement in the next couple months. 

Knowing that many have to go through interviews at some point in time, here are some tips:
(not in a particular order of importance) 
  1. THINK, before you speak . . . if you aren't sure of how to answer a question, pause for a second and think about it. The interviewer would rather hear a well-thought out explanation, then a stutter of words put together in hopes of having some meaning. Trust me on this one
  2. Be detailed in your answers. Try to incorporate the skills, qualification, and requirements you have that match the job you are applying too in the answer. 
  3. Do not let your nerves get to you, just breath, calm down, and try the best you can.
  4. Look professional; First impressions are everything... dress for the job you want! 
  5. DO YOUR RESEARCH! Know about the company you are applying too. Make sure the values they have match your own. No one wants to work for a company they don't believe in.
  6. Be prepared. Bring extra copies of your cover letter, resume, and references. This tip goes hand in hand with #4
If you get the opportunity to contact your interviewer post interview, take it.  See what your strengths and weaknesses during the interview were, this will help in the long run. An interview is a learning experience, take from every single one  that you go through and think of ways to improve yourself.  This interview was definitely a disappointing one, but it was definitely not a disappointing experience. 


Wish me luck on any upcoming interviews! 






You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Great advice! I'm currently applying to jobs so these are really helpful reminders for myself!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe